How To Handle
Negative Online Reviews
If you own a business which serves the public, you will encounter a negative review of your company someday. Social media has become such a dominant form of sharing experiences that it is inevitable that someone will be disappointed with some aspect of your company and they will share it with the world. Because it happens to every business, it is not devastating to your company; in fact, if handled properly, it can actually help you improve.
Here are some tips for handling unhappy clients who share their experiences:
- First, monitor all your social media feeds every week so that you know when a review has been posted.
- Respond to every review quickly, even the positive ones, so that readers know that you appreciate their input.
- Thank all responders for their input- even those with negative comments. If you view all input as information that helps you grow a stronger business, then your response will be genuine.
- Apologize to the reviewer for their sub-par experience. Avoid making excuses (even if you have one), and own the mistake.
- Ask the person who posted to continue the conversation by private message so that a solution can be reached.
- Respond to all correspondence quickly, and work fast to find a proper solution.
- Ask the reviewer to remove the negative comment once the solution has been found.
- If they refuse to remove the comment or no solution can be found, post your solution online to show that you did work to resolve the problem and also include a comment about how your company will change to avoid this mistake from happening again.
Responding to all comments and being active on your social media accounts goes a long way to showing readers how much you care about their experience. Critical reviews will happen, but you can turn them into ways to build a stronger company if you view them as an opportunity.